Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Japanese Backyard.....Chinatown!


This afternoon, I could hear the sound of firecrackers coming from the back yard so I decided I'd better go outside and check. It is not unusual to hear firecrackers in the streets below but I was curious.

Going out the front door of Leyton House, I headed to my back yard... Chinatown (Chuka-gai) 中華街. Making my way to the 'shed' (the main temple) I discovered it was very crowded.
A check of the 'gates' showed me there was definitely something happening! It was causing an enormous amount of excitement amongst the crowds who had gathered around to watch.
As crackers exploded great clouds of smoke filled the air. As the smoke diminished dancing animals and brightly coloured 'aliens' were exposed!
I wandered the many streets of our 'backyard' with activity and excitement all around me. It was very loud.....crackers going off like machine guns, drums, long trumpets, cymbals and other instruments.
I followed the excitement around but after about an hour or so decided to head home. The parade was heading in the same direction and when I got to the front door samurai on horseback, a shrine and more. Six hours later it is still happening and the fireworks are still going off! 


I had witnessed the Kanteitan Festival, one of Chinatown's major festivals held every year in July. How incredibly exciting to have a back yard like ours. Imagine having guard dogs like the ones I had directly outside our place today. There's never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment