Saturday, October 16, 2010

Going back.......it's easy in Asakusa!!!

Asakusa......why do I keep going back? The answer is simple.....

Asakusa is one of the places that I like showing to all my alien visitors. It is Tokyo's oldest geisha district and still has over forty actively working geishas. It has an appeal all of its own and on each visit I aim to see or do something new. The first time was to experience a piece of traditional Japan.....then to see the Senso-ji Temple and the bustling Nakamise Shopping Mall....another time to purchase a wood block print....then to visit the street selling kitchen paraphernalia and of course to share the experience with a different visitor or visitors.

This time was no exception when I once again returned with mother-in-law, Paula. Paula is enjoying four and a half weeks with us. She is very fortunate to be experiencing the mild days of a Japanese Autumn, as did Marion. Gone are the overwhelmingly hot and humid days that the Thompson Clan and Sarah endured during the hottest Summer in over 100 years!

As you leave the busy station you are instantly aware of a change in pace. There are lots of people...but that's the same anywhere in Tokyo. Rickshaws drawn by fit, young men race around town helping to create a traditional 'days of old' atmosphere. As you approach the main gate to the temple the rickshaws line the side of the road. The handsome young drivers stand along the street reeling in willing tourists. The highlight of this visit saw us taking the bait and succumbing to a ride in a rickshaw. Speaking in broken English our driver explained the route he would take and the costs involved. We opted for the 10 minute ride around downtown Asakusa costing 3,000 yen, rather than the alternative 8,000yen option. Ten minutes doesn't sound very long but it was amazing how much information Di , short for a name I couldn't possibly pronounce, passed on. Running along behind was another very handsome young guy who was training to be a rickshaw driver and aspires to be just like Di.
We passed along several back streets before entering the traditional street which leads to the temple and the shopping mall. As we passed along one street Di explained the meaning of the raccoon statues along the way.
He described how one certain temple can only be entered by dignitaries and we as common people could not visit. He stopped the rickshaw at one stage for the customary tourist photograph and then we disembarked at the entrance to the temple.
After the ride we visited the temple and I showed Paula how, for 100 yen, we could read our fortune. Fortunately, my future appears far more rosy than my previous prediction of doom and gloom.
Paula's was not so positive so she tied her fortune paper on the rack in the hope that her bad fortune will be blown away.
We enjoyed a lunch in the Himalayan Restaurant I visited last time then we headed home....but not before Paula purchased a kimono for lounging around in and a few other trinkets.

As this was very much a repeat visit for me I had subconsciously set a mission for the day. Rather than taking photographs of only landmark sites I decided to concentrate on other features which help to create the 'days of old' feel.
 Bolts of fabric, lanterns, street murals, people, sake bottles, colours, patterns......

....and how could I resist these eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously Asakusa is a perfect place to lie back and watch.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jennifer

    I have just taken a five minute break to skim through your blog. Your first entries really hit the spot for me. We have just arrived in Yokohama and I feel all of the things you did! (So that means I can't be too crazy!) Thanks for sharing your life. I look forward to reading more when my little ones head off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i've really enjoyed reading your blog, thanks for sharing, we are moving to yokohama very soon and have been looking at apartments in leyton house... would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love living in Leyton House,Yamashita-cho, Yokohama and we love its location. We can wander through Chinatown, Motomachi Street, Yamashita Park, Minato Mirai and so many other places. It is a friendly place to live and far more relaxed than Tokyo. We lived in Tokyo for 2 months and loved the easy access to the city but we feel at home in Leyton House. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I am so pleased that it's not just my loyal family and friends that are enjoying my blog!!

    ReplyDelete